Subscribe by Email

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Pray for One Another - Second Strategy for a Successful Marriage



Ok, I have a confession to make: I’m far from a perfect husband. I screw up as a husband over and over and over again. It’s a wonder that Amy is still married to me!

Most relationships start in what I’m call the “puppy love phase” where neither of you can do anything wrong. Everything the other person does is so cute and exciting. When she doesn’t eat all her food, he thinks it’s so cute. And when he farts, she laughs along with him. But you know this phase doesn’t last forever. After being married for a few years, he begins to despise the fact that she doesn’t eat all her food and she thinks his farts are absolutely disgusting.

What changed? The blinders came off and you realized that he or she wasn’t as perfect as you thought. Actually, what you realized is that the person you wake up next to every morning is flawed in more ways than you ever thought were possible. And if you were to ask your spouse, he or she would probably say the same thing about you.

We Can’t Change Our Spouse


What do we do when we realize that our spouse isn’t quite as perfect as we once thought? I’ve observed that many people treat their spouses like projects with the objective to make them into the people they want them to be. Husbands try to change their wives so that they’ll arrive on time. Wives try to change their husbands so that they’ll watch more chick-flicks with them. Husbands try to change their wives to that they’ll play more sports with them. Wives try to change their husbands so that they’ll do more cleaning around the house. And the list could go on and on.

If you’ve been married for at least a couple years, then you’ve certainly realized that no matter how hard you try, you can’t change your spouse. That’s not to say we can’t help our spouses modify their outward behaviors a little bit, but there’s nothing we can do to change the thing that drive those behaviors: their hearts. Although some of these differences can be explained by the way men and women are wired, I won’t be addressing that aspect in this article. I’ll be spending the remainder of this article addressing how to change our spouse’s heart.

Who Are We Trying to Make Our Spouse Become?


As I’ve talked about previously, it seems that every person has the same objective in life: eternal happiness. But we all employ different means to get there. All of us to one degree or another spend energy trying to change ourselves in pursuit of this happiness. Sometimes this takes the form of going to bed earlier, working out more, and eating healthier foods. We believe that if we change ourselves into some idealistic picture of a person we have in our heads, then we’ll be happier.

But it doesn’t stop there; we also carry around an idealistic picture of our spouse. And we work overtime trying to make our spouse into this person. What does this picture look like to you? Does this person look like someone whose primary objective is to give you everything you want? Does this person resemble you? Or does this person look like the Jesus of the Bible?

God’s Will Is to Make Us Like Jesus


Did you know that God’s will for every single one of his disciples is to make them look like Jesus? I’m not talking about his outward appearance here, but his inward appearance; I’m talking about the condition of our hearts. Jesus’s will for every single one of his disciples is to transform their hearts to make them look like his.[1]

Why would anyone want to look like Jesus? Because he was a good moralistic person who found happiness in his religious moralism? Not at all. Actually, Jesus wasn’t even on the same spectrum as religious moralists. Personally, I want to look like Jesus because he’s the incarnation of God in human form. There’s not a single person on this entire planet who I want to be like more than Jesus.

Since Amy is also a disciple of Jesus, God’s goal for her is to make her heart like his heart. When I came to this realization, I began throwing out all the idealistic pictures I had in my head of who I wanted Amy to be and began replacing them with pictures of who God wants her to be. For the most part, I’ve stopped trying to change her into the person I want her to be and instead, have turned to God in prayer for her.

What Are Some Ideas for How You Can Pray for Your Spouse?


I don’t know if it’s ever been this way for you, but when I got serious about praying for people a few years ago, I prayed for any and every one I could think of except Amy. I don’t know why I didn’t pray for her. Maybe I was still trusting in myself to change her instead of trusting in God to change her. But I realize now that I can’t trust in myself to change her heart. Heck, I can’t even make her get places on time, let alone cause her to emulate Jesus.

Personally, there are two types of praying I do for Amy on a near-daily basis. The first way I pray for her is by praying for God to make her like him. I pray for her heart to be like his heart; I pray for her desires to be the same as his desires. The hardest part of praying for her in this way is realizing that some of these changes aren’t going to be of great benefit for me. What I don’t do is take all my little pet-peeves about her to God and pray for God to change those things.

What I’ve noticed is that whether or not we realize it, God works in the situations in our lives to transform our hearts. So when I pray for Amy, I pray for God to work in the specific situations she’s facing–whether she’s struggling through something challenging at work, whether she’s suffering from a massive headache, or whether something else is going on in her life–to transform her heart.

The second way I pray for her is asking God to show me where he’s working in her heart and asking for an opportunity to participate with him in that work. Participating with God may sound like a lot of fun, and sometimes it is, but it can also be very challenging. It’s fun when I get to see her spiritual eyes opened to understanding more of his truth and realize that God worked through something I said to open her eyes. But it’s no fun when I’m called to say or do something which I know is going to be painful for her. This is where I have to exhibit large amounts of trust in God that he knows what he’s doing much more than I do.

Do you regularly pray for your spouse? If so, how do you pray? Hopefully sharing the ways I pray will help get your creative juices flowing so that you can come up with some ways you can pray for your spouse.


Don’t forget to check back next week for my number one strategy for a successful marriage!


[1] See Romans 8:29, 12:2, 2 Corinthians 3:18, and 1 Thessalonians 4:3.

No comments:

Post a Comment